OPPORTUNITY - This is a critical moment in the University’s Human Resources evolution. The University has embarked on a series of transformative changes for HR that will play out over the next few years and have impact in the coming decade. The University, along with other institutions of higher education, is in the midst of significant workforce changes that began several years ago and is projected to continue for at least the next five years. This is a turning point for a talent professional to lead the University’s effort to build and lead the talent strategy of the University for its third century and to help shape UVA’s future.
The AVP, HR Talent is a strategic role designed to manage best in class talent services to support the University. This AVP-level position is responsible for leading and overseeing all strategic initiatives across the talent teams serving a broad spectrum of UVA stakeholders and customers. Functions within these teams include talent management, recruitment, and employee relations, as well as pipeline, temporary staffing and flexible talent programs. Reporting to the Chief Human Resource Officer, the AVP, HR Talent is a change catalyst charged with ensuring the organization has the capabilities and capacity to execute the strategic direction of the business, as well as the willingness to integrate feedback quickly to adapt to change.
Successful delivery of the role contributes to an engaging organizational environment that motivates, attracts and retains a diverse and high performing University workforce. The AVP will report to the Chief Human Resource Officer and manage a high performance team of Directors responsible for the comprehensive portfolio of talent services.
To learn more about the HR transformation as well as the competencies expected for all future HR professionals, please visit https://ufirst.virginia.edu/
The AVP, HR Talent will have opportunities to succeed and contribute to the transformative change within HR in several ways.
Some key priority areas are:
• Develops and drives the talent strategy for the University of Virginia;
• Serves as a subject matter expert and talent leader across a broad spectrum of talent topics such as workforce planning, succession planning, performance management, learning and development, and rewards/recognition;
• Develops and regularly reviews outcome measures against strategy, providing regular reporting to monitor performance against plan and identify areas for action and improvement;
• Provides advice and renders opinions to the CHRO, HR executive team, Deans, Talent CoE leaders and the broader University community. Suggests leading practices and alternatives to address issues and challenges.;
• Identifies hires and rigorously develops talent, serving as a role model in this area across UVA;
• Creates a positive team environment, inspires others by celebrating successes and contributions.
• Encourages team members to be open and honest in communication, express of all points of view, take initiative, provide feedback on risks, and opportunities and to promote a culture of accountability and growth;
• Establishes goals and performance standards for Talent CoE leaders and works collaboratively across the HR CoEs and across customer groups to achieve overall talent strategy;
• Participates in CHRO Executive meetings to share trends, and provide relevant insights and advice to inform coordinated HR plans and programs for the University; partners with CHRO and HR Leadership; develops and provides reports to the CHRO to cover progress against plan, open issues, plan changes and proposals;
• Establishes standards for in-scope vendor review, selection, and contracting. Reviews all vendor agreements above established threshold to ensure compliance with standards. Supports Talent CoE leaders and team members with vendor negotiations as requested;
• Stays abreast of the scope of compliance requirements for each Talent CoE function and ensures inclusion of compliance measures in CoE goals. Conducts audits on a randomized basis to ensure the accuracy of filings, process, and documentation;
• Proactively presents escalated customer issues, assessing and quickly resolving competing priorities to achieve win-win outcomes;
• Conducts bi-annual planning meetings with each Talent CoE leader to understand needs and requests; outline, discuss and agree on each Talent CoE function’s goals, priorities, programs, strategies and plans; as well as the supporting budgets and resource models. Negotiates open items, and comes to agreement;
• Supports Talent CoE function teams access required resources, information, and collaboration opportunities;
• Executes on the University-wide people management process, to include talent selection, reviews, development and deployment decisions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
•Candidates are expected to have a record of successful HR or talent leadership, preferably in a higher education or health system environment.
•A competitive applicant for the AVP, Talent role will have many of the following knowledge areas skills or abilities:
• Experience in a matrixed environment and/or demonstrated success in managing across organizations by using influence versus authority;
•Ability to exercise autonomy, independent judgment and decision-making; providing sound reasoning for recommendations and balancing information to resolve issues and mitigate risk;
•Excellent verbal and written communication skills including small and large group facilitation capabilities;
•Creative problem solver with a passion for human resources and continuous improvement;
•Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively communicate ideas, to coach and facilitate change at all levels;
•Well-rounded business acumen and sound business judgment, tact and diplomacy;
•Experience interfacing with senior business leaders and working both independently as well as through others
•Sense of humor appreciated, quick thinking and approachable nature needed
•Proven ability to develop HR staff and lead teams in a matrix environment;
•Expert influence, negotiation skills and HR Generalist skills in all areas of HR required; must have experience supporting executive level leadership;
•Strong familiarity in the various talent management disciplines to include: recruitment, performance management, learning and development, and employee relationships
•Successful track record leading and managing a diverse team of professionals
•Successful track record working effectively with diverse stakeholders within a complex organization
•Experience managing a broad talent function that serves a varied population
Required: 10 years of relevant experience, including at least 5 years in a people management role, Bachelor’s degree
Preferred: Master’s degree (MBA or relevant graduate degree); HR experience with Higher Education and/or Health System, PHR/SPHR or other Human Resource certification
Preferred Computer Applications: Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and demonstrated experience with HRMS such as Workday, PeopleSoft HR, Oracle, SAP, etc.
Nominations, expressions of interest, and applications (including a cover letter and CV) should be submitted via email to email@example.com
Recruitment is confidential and will continue until the position is filled.
The position will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For over fifty years, the Darden School has been transforming today's MBA students into tomorrow's great leaders by offering an exceptional business education in a supportive, collaborative environment in state-of-the-art faci ...« Read More »
Diversity stands with ethics, integrity, and academic excellence, as a cornerstone of University culture. The University promotes an inclusive and welcoming environment that embraces the full spectrum of human attributes, perspectives ...« Read More »
Welcome to UVa! This site is dedicated to highlighting services and resources available to Asian and Asian Pacific American Students. The Office of the Dean of Students along with various colleagues and other offices provide supp ...« Read More »
Asian Pacific American Leadership Training Institute (APALTI) APALTI is a student facilitated, culturally aware leadership development program designed to build confidence, enhance competence and strengthen connectedness among a selecte ...« Read More »
The Employee Communication Councils are designed to facilitate two-way communication between senior administration and staff that allow employees to voice concerns and hear from senior administration regarding those issues. How Does the ...« Read More »
Community Services Officers perform a variety of technical and public relations activities within the Santa Rosa Police Department not requiring peace officer status. Duties will vary depending on assignment. ...
City: Santa Rosa
State: California« Read More »
Shape Your Future - CONMED is seeking a Sales Associate to join our winning team. This is an exceptional entry-level opportunity in the medical device industry, which will put you on the path to a six-figure income. ...
State: North Carolina« Read More »
The City of Bellevue – Bellevue welcomes the world. The City of Bellevue is a dynamic, international and multicultural, future-focused, diversity driven, high performing City. There are five essential and enduring principles tha ...
State: Washington« Read More »
Shape your future Are you looking to accelerate your career in finance? Join CONMED's Orthopedic team in a key role as the manager of Finance and Accounting. We are growing this business and seeking a talented ...
State: Florida« Read More »
The Senior Accountant provides support to the Vice President and Treasurer in processing the monthly accounting cycle, preparing schedules for the annual audit, and handling human resources requirements. Primary responsibilities will ...
City: Los Angeles
State: California« Read More »
The Licensed Clinical Social Worker Supervisor provides training and supervision of gold-standard clinical (including SCID and SIPS) and functional assessments, culturally responsive evidence-based individual, family and group interve ...
State: Calfifornia« Read More »
Summary: The Palm Beach County Sports Commission is a private, not-for-profit organization contracted by Palm Beach County to promote and market the County as a sports destination. The Commission recruits sporting events and activitie ...
City: West Palm Beach
State: Florida« Read More »
Penn State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, a senior-level leader who reports to the Executive Vice President and Provost. The successful candidate will be a highly ...
City: University Park Campus
State: Pennsylvania« Read More »
The EHS Specialist provides expertise and program maintenance in the areas of regulatory compliance, occupational health and safety, process safety management, environmental, and industrial hygiene to help the plant meet its goals in ...
State: Texas« Read More »
Shape your future - An Account Representative position with the ability to leverage our exceptional product line of more than 4,000 products to grow market share.As a medical device representative, you will play an integral ...
City: Brooklyn - Staten Island
State: New York« Read More »
The Pennsylvania State University seeks candidates for the position of University Budget Officer, an executive-level position reporting directly to the Executive Vice President and Provost. The University Budget Officer is a senior me ...
City: .State College
State: Pennsylvania« Read More »
The plant production operator is responsible for understanding and carrying out instructions which include but are not limited to staging, charging for production batches and product checks, as well as, all computer and hand written d ...
City: Valley Park
State: Missouri« Read More »