The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan’s mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan’s facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine surface water reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
Our employees enjoy highly competitive salaries and excellent retirement, medical, dental, 401K, and other benefits (see our website).
The Water System Operations Group, Desert Region Unit, currently has one (1) opening for an Aqueduct Pump Specialist (Millwright/Industrial Mechanic) at the Eagle Mountain Pumping Plant located near Desert Center, CA. Positions located at the Hinds Pumping Plant are eligible for a remote location incentive pay program and to rent Metropolitan Water District housing.
This position has an active role in maintaining an eight (8) pump readiness for the Desert Region on the Pump Maintenance Team.
Positions allocated to this classification utilize specialized advanced journey level mechanical experience and knowledge in the practices, procedures, and methods of maintaining and operating pumping units and associated large-scale water conveyance and distribution systems and infrastructures.
This position will perform predictive, preventive, and corrective maintenance and installation of large conveyance and distribution pumps and related equipment including, motors, compressors, small to midsize pumps and equipment associated with cooling and lubrication systems, control and measurement equipment, cranes, bridges, gates, penstock, valves, reservoir infrastructure and other large conveyance and distribution equipment and appurtenances.
In addition, this position will perform inspection, maintenance, installation, operations and capacity improvement of high volume pumps, including cranes and associated equipment and systems such as generators and motors, control systems and related processes necessary for optimal distribution system performance and reliability.
• Perform maintenance tasks and activities on pumping units, and other key distribution facilities through a variety of specialized skills.
• Perform predictive, preventive and corrective maintenance within prescribed standards and limits on complex equipment related to large vertical or similar types of pumps, large diameter valves and pumping/generating plant equipment that are mechanical in nomenclature, including hydraulic and pneumatic control systems.
• Utilizes computers and advanced instrumentation to monitor the capabilities, limits, and effectiveness of equipment and processes of key distribution assets and equipment.
• Utilizes tools associated with fabrication, welding, and machining necessary to create, duplicate and/or replicate parts necessary to install, repair, modify, overhaul and improve a wide variety of equipment and assets within pump/generating plants, and other key conveyance and distribution facilities.
• Inspects, test, calibrates, maintains, and improves a variety of complex
mechanical/electrical equipment associated with pump operations, such as cooling and lubrication systems, mechanical/electrical control systems, hydraulic and pneumatic controls, cranes and rigging, gear shaft and drive mechanisms to ensure optimal equipment service to maintain uninterrupted downstream water and power delivery.
• Performs a variety of predictive maintenance techniques on all types of
pumping/generating equipment and supporting systems for flaw detection to maintain and optimize equipment performance and life.
• Assists with the planning and coordination of scheduled predictive, preventive and corrective as well as unplanned outages, shutdowns or other emergency situations to minimizing equipment downtime of interruption of service.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or High School Equivalency Certificate IN ADDITION to a minimum of 5 years in a journey-level mechanical maintenance position in a pump plant, treatment plant, hydroelectric or conveyance and distribution facility or similar environment.
Specialized advanced journey level experience and knowledge as demonstrated by practical application of techniques and practices specific to the operation, maintenance, and repair of aqueduct infrastructure, pump plant, power generation system, and related systems and apparatus. Skills necessary include predictive diagnostic evaluation of complex utility pump and power equipment using analog digital test as well as computer equipment Also requires advanced journey-level skills in preventive and corrective maintenance practices related to aqueduct equipment and infrastructure, pump plant and hydroelectric plant maintenance generally obtained through applicable training and experience.
Required Knowledge of:
• Theories and practices of mechanical equipment, electricity and electronics, and their application to operation, new installation and maintenance of large-scale mechanical and equipment associated with pumping facilities, power plants and key large-scale water conveyance and distribution systems.
• Skills in the safe and effective operation of cranes and rigging practices, contemporary large-scale pumping, conveyance and distribution systems, including troubleshooting methods, determination of failure causes, diagnostic analysis through failure mode, and root cause analysis to formulate best maintenance solutions.
• Use of tools and techniques for welding, fabrication and machining to design, set-up and manufacture parts and equipment necessary to repair, modify and improve equipment and other assets as a comprehensive on-site maintenance approach to ensure reliability, and safety practices and regulations for operating mechanical and electrical equipment, low and high voltage system, hazardous materials, and associated tools and equipment.
Required Skills and Abilities to:
• Understand and interpret mechanical/electrical engineering data and complex
schematic diagrams necessary to implement predictive, preventive, corrective and improvement activities, interpret complex instructions, manuals, operating and maintenance procedures and specifications related to pump and pumping control, cooling, and lubrication support systems, hydroelectric power systems and equipment as they pertain to the interface with distribution assets such as pumping, water volume, capacity and control.
• The safe and effective operation of cranes and rigging practices.
• Apply methods, practices and tools to ensure the reliable operations for the movement of water, generation of power, and optimization of equipment demands within established limits and standards.
• Utilize tools and diagnostic equipment to test and monitor equipment condition as well as repair, rebuild/overhaul, install and replace equipment necessary to meet water and electrical generation demand and/or capacity.
• Use and maintain mechanical/electrical tools and equipment normally and traditionally used in pump and hydroelectric plants, reservoirs, and within water and power control facilities.
• Use traditional analog and precision digital instruments to ensure critical alignments as part of diagnostic and predictive maintenance, including infrared cameras and monitors, laser alignment equipment, analog and digital micrometers, calipers, and other tools related to close tolerance analysis of work.
• Apply and guide others in adhering to safety practices and regulations for operating mechanical and electrical equipment, low and high voltage systems, hazardous materials, and associated tools and equipment.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Drivers license from state of residency equivalent to a California Class C. (Required at time of application.)
Employees in this position will be required to obtain and maintain the following:
• Forklift Certification
• Mobile Crane Certification
• Respirator Certification
• Welding Certification
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Expectations of Emergency and Stand-by Service:
Employees in these positions may be required to work off-shift hours to address operational needs and emergencies as required. Employees may be required to work extended periods in remote areas away from the normal reporting location.
Heavy tasks may require lifting and carrying items weighing up to 50 pounds, with intermittent need to lift and carry materials and/or equipment weighing up to 100 pounds with assistance. Frequently requires pushing, pulling, turning and positioning parts, assemblies, equipment and tools weighing as much as 100 pounds with assistance. May be required to lift and move heavy items with the assistance of others and with lifting devices such as jacks, hoists and cranes of varied types and capacities. Physical effort includes frequent walking, stooping, bending, reaching, standing, climbing, kneeling and sitting for long periods of time.
Work is performed indoors and outdoors at large pumping, treatment, hydroelectric or control facilities, or associated with other assets, under all types of conditions including extreme temperatures, remote locations away from the normal reporting locations, open and confined spaces ranging from crawl spaces to sub-structures as well as varied types of terrains. Job tasks, frequently require working from heights and functioning from elevated platforms suspended by lifts, hoists, scaffolds and cranes over surfaces from earthen materials to concrete, steel and water. Work frequently is conducted in close proximity to high volume/pressurized water and electrically energized equipment including high voltage systems The work environment often involves exposure to equipment and tools producing high levels of noise, as well as potentially dangerous materials, chemicals, and machinery that require careful adherence to extensive safety precautions, rules and regulations.
Job Related Selection Criteria:
20% Job Preparation (education, experience and training relevant to the position)
70% Technical knowledge of and skill in operations, maintenance and repair of large-
scale water conveyance and distribution pumps and related equipment;
safety practices related to the industry
5% Interpersonal Skills
5% Oral Communication Skills
This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. To receive a copy of the complete job description, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on MWD benefits, please use the following link:
Reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities may be requested by calling (213) 217-7738 at least five (5) working days in advance of the scheduled examination date(s).
MWD is a Federal and State EO employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
The Office of Diversity Initiatives (ODI) and the University of Connecticut offers Faculty and Peer Mentoring programs. Mentors can serve as liaisons to campus resources, services, organizations events and opportunities as well as be a frie ...« Read More »
We support and pursue lifelong learning to expand our knowledge and capabilities and to engage with the world outside UTC. When we say we want to have the best-educated workforce on the planet, we mean business. Th ...« Read More »
The Chancellor's Diversity Advisory Committee, formed by Chancellor Holub in spring 2010, brings together offices, program,s and individuals who do important work to advance our campus's commitment to diversity and equity. The ...« Read More »
OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital ranks among the top 50 children’s hospitals in the United States. It ranks 36th nationally for NIH-awarded pediatric research funding among children’s hospitals affiliated with an ...« Read More »
Our Commitment to Energy Efficient Technology While we can drive environmental impact reductions through our products, we also have an opportunity to reduce our footprint through efficiently managing our own operations. UTC is committed ...« Read More »
Community Services Officers perform a variety of technical and public relations activities within the Santa Rosa Police Department not requiring peace officer status. Duties will vary depending on assignment. ...
City: Santa Rosa
State: California« Read More »
Shape Your Future - CONMED is seeking a Sales Associate to join our winning team. This is an exceptional entry-level opportunity in the medical device industry, which will put you on the path to a six-figure income. ...
State: North Carolina« Read More »
The City of Bellevue – Bellevue welcomes the world. The City of Bellevue is a dynamic, international and multicultural, future-focused, diversity driven, high performing City. There are five essential and enduring principles tha ...
State: Washington« Read More »
Shape your future Are you looking to accelerate your career in finance? Join CONMED's Orthopedic team in a key role as the manager of Finance and Accounting. We are growing this business and seeking a talented ...
State: Florida« Read More »
The Senior Accountant provides support to the Vice President and Treasurer in processing the monthly accounting cycle, preparing schedules for the annual audit, and handling human resources requirements. Primary responsibilities will ...
City: Los Angeles
State: California« Read More »
The Licensed Clinical Social Worker Supervisor provides training and supervision of gold-standard clinical (including SCID and SIPS) and functional assessments, culturally responsive evidence-based individual, family and group interve ...
State: Calfifornia« Read More »
Summary: The Palm Beach County Sports Commission is a private, not-for-profit organization contracted by Palm Beach County to promote and market the County as a sports destination. The Commission recruits sporting events and activitie ...
City: West Palm Beach
State: Florida« Read More »
Penn State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, a senior-level leader who reports to the Executive Vice President and Provost. The successful candidate will be a highly ...
City: University Park Campus
State: Pennsylvania« Read More »
The EHS Specialist provides expertise and program maintenance in the areas of regulatory compliance, occupational health and safety, process safety management, environmental, and industrial hygiene to help the plant meet its goals in ...
State: Texas« Read More »
Shape your future - An Account Representative position with the ability to leverage our exceptional product line of more than 4,000 products to grow market share.As a medical device representative, you will play an integral ...
City: Brooklyn - Staten Island
State: New York« Read More »
The Pennsylvania State University seeks candidates for the position of University Budget Officer, an executive-level position reporting directly to the Executive Vice President and Provost. The University Budget Officer is a senior me ...
City: .State College
State: Pennsylvania« Read More »
The plant production operator is responsible for understanding and carrying out instructions which include but are not limited to staging, charging for production batches and product checks, as well as, all computer and hand written d ...
City: Valley Park
State: Missouri« Read More »