The Adventure Leadership and Team Building Coordinator is charged with the creation, development, and administration of a comprehensive challenge and team building program at Virginia Commonwealth University. This position encompasses a wide variety of administrative and supervisory duties in the areas of personnel management, trip planning, facility operations, curriculum planning and instruction, risk management, enforcement of policies and procedures, and statistical data collection and reporting. This position reports to the Assistant Director for the Outdoor Adventure Program (OAP).
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Facility Administration & Risk Management:
• Coordinate the development, design, and construction of OAP teambuilding facilities
• Develop an effective risk management program for the management of these facilities, which includes challenge course maintenance, regular inventory of first aid equipment and supplies, conducting safety/accident prevention trainings, as well as assisting in the regular revision of policies & procedures for accidents and emergencies in program facilities and on OAP trips
• Inspect the challenge course on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis and coordinate the necessary work orders in coordination with the Assistant Director for the OAP to ensure completion of work while maintaining open and safe facilities
• Regularly communicate with student managers and the Assistant Director for the OAP on any operating and/or equipment issues, and report such concerns regularly to the Assistant Director for the OAP and designated staff in the Department of Recreational Sports.
• Ensure the security of OAP teambuilding facilities during, and at the conclusion of, all OAP programs and activities and maintain accurate documentation of property security.
Teambuilding & Program Management:
• Create, regularly evaluate and revise, and implement a comprehensive curriculum for OAP teambuilding facilities’ programming and initiatives
• Communicate with participants and user groups and respond to their needs in a timely manner
• Report all participant conduct problems to the Assistant Director for the OAP, provide a safe environment through appropriate personnel training, scheduling of activities, event planning and preparation of facilities and regular site inspections
• Develop and implement clinics and educational programming
• Assist in coordinating purchases of equipment and supplies, assist with developing budgets and specifications and review bids following university purchasing procedures
• Perform regular evaluations of challenge course staff, facility and programs; report results and recommendations.
• Manage, supervise and document daily facility operations of the VCU challenge course.
• Recruit, hire, train, orient, schedule, supervise, and evaluate all OAP teambuilding facilities’ staff
• Regularly monitor staff time, complete employee payroll, address discipline issues, and the enact the student employee incentive program
• Actively participate in the student development program including new employee orientation
• Prepare training materials, operating manuals, performance plans for evaluation, and conduct staff meetings following department and university schedules, processes, and standards
• Assist with planning and conducting training sessions and staff meetings for all OAP staff
• Revise employee training materials and operating manuals annually and enforce employment policies
• Assist the Assistant Director for the OAP with the continued development and management of the Student Outdoor Leadership Experiences (SOLE) program
• Assist with providing supervision and leadership for the OAP trip leaders and ensure outdoor trips adhere to standard operational procedures
• Confirm that all assistant trip leaders develop the necessary skillsets enabling them to effectively lead trips for the Outdoor Adventure Program
• Assist in ensuring all trip leaders maintain proper training, certifications and experience levels that are related to the specific trips that they lead
• Develop and maintain standard operational procedures
• Update manuals that will ensure the proper risk management of all outdoor adventures trips
• Serve as a trip leader when there is a shortage of qualified staff to ensure adequate risk management on trips
• Administer staff training for all OAP student employees
• Assist in the development, supervision, and management of revenues/expenditures of funds in the OAP operating budget, repair and reserve budget, change fund, and petty cash fund
• Develop and present annual budget requests
• Prepare, analyze, and manage program evaluations and participation statistics in areas of responsibility
• Attend and actively participate in staff meetings, in-service education sessions and other divisional or departmental meetings
• Participate in other Division of Student Affairs initiatives/programs as required
• Assist in the overall operation of the department by providing input and completing assigned projects, annual goals and objectives, and annual reports
• Maintain professional skill sets and certifications as appropriate for job responsibilities and as a professional.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director for the Outdoor Adventure Program
Required License or Certification
• Association for Challenge Course Technology (ACCT) Level 1 certification or ability obtain as a condition of employment within 60 days of hire
• Wilderness First Responder certification or ability to obtain as a condition of employment within 60 days of hire
• Valid Driver’s License or ability obtain as a condition of employment within 60 days of hire
• Demonstrated experience in all aspects of personnel management and staff development in a university/college recreational sports setting
• Ability to motivate and supervise students
Desired License or Certification
• Association for Challenge Course Technology (ACCT) Level II or Challenge Course Manager certification
• Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder instructor
• Instructor level certification with one of the following organizations: AMGA, PCIA, LNT , ACA, or equivalent
• Ability to obtain instructor certifications related to position responsibilities
• Position involves working evenings and weekends and extended trips
• Position is located in a non-smoking work area
POSITION: This position is a full-time twelve-month professional faculty position with the rank of instructor.
SALARY: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Position includes full VCU Professional Faculty benefits package – health insurance, tuition waiver and five (5) weeks’ vacation.
APPLICATION: When open, please go to www.vcujobs.com to submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Community Services Officers perform a variety of technical and public relations activities within the Santa Rosa Police Department not requiring peace officer status. Duties will vary depending on assignment. ...
City: Santa Rosa
State: California« Read More »
Shape Your Future - CONMED is seeking a Sales Associate to join our winning team. This is an exceptional entry-level opportunity in the medical device industry, which will put you on the path to a six-figure income. ...
State: North Carolina« Read More »
The City of Bellevue – Bellevue welcomes the world. The City of Bellevue is a dynamic, international and multicultural, future-focused, diversity driven, high performing City. There are five essential and enduring principles tha ...
State: Washington« Read More »
Shape your future Are you looking to accelerate your career in finance? Join CONMED's Orthopedic team in a key role as the manager of Finance and Accounting. We are growing this business and seeking a talented ...
State: Florida« Read More »
The Senior Accountant provides support to the Vice President and Treasurer in processing the monthly accounting cycle, preparing schedules for the annual audit, and handling human resources requirements. Primary responsibilities will ...
City: Los Angeles
State: California« Read More »
The Licensed Clinical Social Worker Supervisor provides training and supervision of gold-standard clinical (including SCID and SIPS) and functional assessments, culturally responsive evidence-based individual, family and group interve ...
State: Calfifornia« Read More »
Summary: The Palm Beach County Sports Commission is a private, not-for-profit organization contracted by Palm Beach County to promote and market the County as a sports destination. The Commission recruits sporting events and activitie ...
City: West Palm Beach
State: Florida« Read More »
Penn State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, a senior-level leader who reports to the Executive Vice President and Provost. The successful candidate will be a highly ...
City: University Park Campus
State: Pennsylvania« Read More »
The EHS Specialist provides expertise and program maintenance in the areas of regulatory compliance, occupational health and safety, process safety management, environmental, and industrial hygiene to help the plant meet its goals in ...
State: Texas« Read More »
Shape your future - An Account Representative position with the ability to leverage our exceptional product line of more than 4,000 products to grow market share.As a medical device representative, you will play an integral ...
City: Brooklyn - Staten Island
State: New York« Read More »
The Pennsylvania State University seeks candidates for the position of University Budget Officer, an executive-level position reporting directly to the Executive Vice President and Provost. The University Budget Officer is a senior me ...
City: .State College
State: Pennsylvania« Read More »
The plant production operator is responsible for understanding and carrying out instructions which include but are not limited to staging, charging for production batches and product checks, as well as, all computer and hand written d ...
City: Valley Park
State: Missouri« Read More »